Sunday, March 17, 2013

Drum Lesson 1 - Musical Theory


Monday, March 11th, 2013

I arrived a couple minute early to Willis Music Store (Insert Link to web site here) on Hurstbourn Parkway here in Louisville, Ky as I was eager to to meet my knew instructor and began my this new journey. After entering the store, I informed the guy behind the counter that I was here for a drum lesson with Jack Hall and seamlessly out of nowhere Jack appear. We exchanged the normal greetings and off to the back we went to Jacks private training room. The lesson consisted of two parts, the first was based on theory, things that I already knew such as what a bar is, the time signature, what a measure is, the various notes, and how each of the notes are counted. The second part of the lesson was to apply the theory that Jack provided to me to the drum kit. Since there is so much to talk about for the music theory section, I'm only going to concentrate on this for this posting.

Music Theory – The building blocks for everything that will be

Lets get right to the guts of this! My instructor pulled out a piece of paper that had on it a number of bars listed on it, nothing else. He informed me that drummers use a bar that consists of five lines, each of the lines and spaces are for various items of the drum kit. See the image below named Drum Basic Bar Graph. For this lesson however, we are only concerned with the third space, which is used for the snare drum notes. If you are a truly beginner drummer, below is what a basic bar looks like that

Basic Music Bar
He proceeded with to introduce me to the time signature, which for now is 4/4. The number that I am to be concerned with for now is the top number of 4. This number indicates how many beats there will be per measure. See the Image named Drum Bar with Time Signature.

Basic Music Bar with Time Signature

Sixteenth Notes and Why Important

Sixteenth Note
He then moved right in to explain to me what sixteenth notes are the basis of a measure, that each measure is built upon sixteenth notes and that in keeping time all musicians count in sixteenth notes. This sort of took me be surprise, but opened up my eyes as to what I was having so much trouble with, how to keep time within a song. I also found it odd that he would start with sixteenth notes as the books and videos that I have acquired over the past couple years have always started off with quarter notes or whole notes, showing this tree starting with whole note, subdivided into half notes, quarter notes, eighth notes, sixteenth notes, etc. However, before I could ask about this, he informed me that almost all music introduction is wrong in that they start out with these other notes, which they should indeed start out as I am showing you. This makes sense if a measure is based on the sixteenth note and the other subdivisions break down upon this, why would they note introduce this first. A question for other masses I believe.

Sixteenth Note
Rest
So what does a sixteenth note look like? What does a bar of sixteenth notes look like? How are they counted? Jack explained all this next. First take a look at the image below that I have created in the likeness of what Jack wrote out for me. This is the a single sixteenth note and its accompanying rest value. Note: a rest is a place holder for a note, but it is not played within the measure; you rest for that note(s).

That's it, it's just a dotted note filled in with a stem and two flags. To further that, in order to show that two sixteenth played in session, a two bars are added and replace the flags. The image below shows a bar with a measure of sixteenth notes and how you would count these during reading or while playing a song.

Sixteenth
Note Grouping
w/ Count
As I mentioned above, Jack explained to me, sixteenth notes are the basis for a measure and this is where I will live as a drummer and what I will use to keep time within a song. Ah the missing piece that I have been looking for and that in which that has been giving me so much trouble. More on this later when we get to the second part of the lesson. Sixteenth notes are counted as 1, e, &, a, 2, e, &, a, 3, e, &, a, 4, e, &, a noting that there are sixteen notes per measure, that it, that's all the most that you can have.

Eighth Note


Eighth Notes – Subdivision of Sixteenth



The first subdivision of the sixteenth note that he introduced me to is that of eight notes. Below is an image of an eighth note and its accompanying rest. It is a filled in dotted note with a stem and one flag.

Eighth
Note Rest
Notice that there are only two eighth notes within the four sixteen note sections, which consist of eight notes per measure. Notice that I included the time signature of the sixteenth notes with the bar of eight notes. See how in order to count the notes, you would still count in sixteenths but only play the eighth notes that are listed. Eighth notes are counted by 1 &, 2, &, 3, &, 4 & and compared to sixteenth notes, it would mean that you would not play on the beats of e and a. This means that it's like having a rest in between each of the eight notes for the notes not being played. This was huge for me. As it meant that I would still count in sixteenths, 1, e, &, a, 2, e, &, a, 3, e, &, a, 4, e, &, a, but only play the notes on 1, &, 2, &, 3, &, 4, &. This further strengthened the importance of keeping time by counting in sixteenth notes.

Quarter
Note

Quarter Notes – Subdivision of Sixteenth

The next subdivision of the sixteenth notes would be introduced to me in this session is that of quarter notes. The quarter note is a solid note with a stem and no flag; refer to the image to the right for a picture of the note, and its accompanying rest value. NOTE: quarter notes do not have a beam to join them.

Quarter
Note Rest
This next image is what I recreated based on what Jack wrote out for lesson for the quarter notes. Notice with the quarter notes, there is only four per measure and that they are only played on the count of 1, 2, 3, and 4. However, using the same sixteenth counting you would not play on the counts of e, &, or a, which would mean that you would rest on those values. Like the eighth notes, I would still count in sixteenths, 1, e, &, a, 2, e, &, a, 3, e, &, a, 4, e, &, a, but only play the notes on 1, 2, 3, and 4.

Sixteenth Note – Variations

So he has explained the basic notes that I need to be concerned with, but he's not done yet. He explained to me that there are two variations of the sixteenth note that are very important along with with the proper way that I need to play the notes with my sticks (called sticking in drummer speak).
Sixteenth Note Variations
This first variation you play on the beats of 1, e and &, but not the beat of a. This means you would play three notes in a row and rest on the forth. The important thing about this is how the variation of the normal four beat look. In this image, you will note that there is two sixteenth notes joined by a double beam, but looks like an eight note next, this is not the case, but is what I thought at first. It's just how they represent this notation. Also notice that I included the sticking that should be used with this combination of notes, R (right), L (left) and R (right). This would be the same with as playing the normal sixteenth note, except that you would you not play the fourth note.

At this point, Jack took a moment to discuss about reading music notation and point out that like seeing the word Pearl on a drum cymbal, I don't actually read the word, my mind knows what the word is and I just recall it from memory. I now have to do the same with the note values along with these variations so that my mind just recalls what needs to known about the symbol that represents a note value. In other words, learn the language so that it's second nature.

This second variation you play on the beat of 1, &, a and rest on the e; refer to the image labeled Sixteenth Note Variations above.. Important to note here that there is a single beam that joins the first not to the second two notes, and they are joined together with a double beam. This was something that I had issues with when trying to learn on my own with books and videos. I thought it was a eighth note and two sixteenth notes combination. But now I know they are sixteenth notes, with the second note not played. The sticking to be used for this variation is R (right), R (right), L (left). This would again be the same as if you were playing straight sixteenth notes, but the second note that would be played with the L (left) stick would not be played.  

This concludes my post on the first part of my drum lesson.  As you can see, there was a lot of material that Jack and I covered.  I hope that if you are reading this, you can take something away about music that you had not know before.  If you have any questions, please send me and email or leave a comment below!

No comments:

Post a Comment